Silicone and TPE
What is TPE?
Commonly referred to as thermoplastic rubber.
it is a class of copolymers or a physical mix of polymers (usually a plastic and a rubber) made of materials with both thermoplastic and elastomeric properties.
TPE is used in every day products because it can be injected and molded in products that require the use of rubber. We are sure that you can find this material in some of the products in your home. It is more affordable than silicone and it has properties such as flexibility, molding ability, soft texture.
The TPE properties make this material one of the best options to make realistic sex dolls at an affordable price point.
Positive aspects of a TPE sex doll:
- Great quality/price ratio. In general, TPE dolls are more affordable than silicone dolls and still offer a great quality
- Lifelike and quite realistic appearances
- TPE is more flexible, squeezable and softer, allowing doll lovers to position their dolls in more postures
- It retains warmth, but not too much heat
- Hypoallergenic and odorless
Negative aspects of a TPE sex doll:
- It might get stains easier
- It is a porous material so cleaning is more difficult and it cannot be sterilized
- Quality, flexibility, thickness, etc. depend on the mixture or blend that the manufacturer uses, so it varies by manufacturers
Is for these reasons, that it is very important to use a TPE sex doll from a reputable manufacturer that uses a good mixture and that has good reviews and demonstrated quality of products in the market
What is Silicone?
Silicone is used for soft sex toys, due to its durability, cleanability, non-degradation by petroleum-based lubricants. It is a mixture of silicon polymer together with carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. The sex toy and sex doll industry has been using silicone for many years.
Sex dolls use silicone rubber and can be very soft of very firm, depending on the formula. Since silicone has very hot resistance properties, you can find silicone dolls with heat systems incorporated, as these dolls can be heated for a longer period of time.
Positive aspects of a silicone sex doll:
- It usually have the most realistic anus, vaginas and other customized body parts
- It can be heated and can incorporate integrated heat systems
- It is a non-porous material, so it can be easier to clean and to sterilize. It is hypoallergenic (similar to TPE)
- It is supposed to resist better to water and stains
- It feel realistic and soft
Negative aspects of a silicone sex doll:
- It usually is more expensive, especially in bigger size models
- For some customers silicone can be sticky, so it is recommended the use of baby powder
- It feels thicker and less soft than TPE. These dolls usually are more rigid
- Some customers argue that silicone is less durable than TPE, although easier to maintain